Thursday, April 4, 2013

A DAY IN MAURITIUS

I KNOW THIS IS SO LATE. It’s almost finals so work is I have a lot of papers and studying. So sad this is coming to an end L.

 

March 18th

 

                Me and my roommate Bridget were both on the same SAS trip for the day! We got the clear to leave the ship at almost 9am and we headed to our tour bus. Mauritius was a really interesting place because the people are very diverse and our tour guide was very proud of this diversity and the fact they everyone gets along well. Mostly everyone on the island speaks English and French. Upon getting off the ship the Island had a band and dancers waiting for us to give us a greeting onto the island. The island is really small and has such beautiful scenery. We first stopped at a volcano crater that has been dormant for a long time. So there was a mini lake inside and trees growing on the sides. The forestry was amazing, the weather to start the day (it rained later) was beautiful and after 5 days at sea it was like stepping off into paradise. Many wealthy people come here to vacation because the ocean is warm , beaches are clear and the island is simply breathtaking.

                After we went to a shop where they make detailed replicas of ships. They were very detailed and these shops provide a lot of jobs to people on the island. Every part of the ship is made by hand and it takes weeks to make just one with 10-20 people working on it. I wanted to get one but it was expensive and also I already have too much to bring home LOL. That’s another story. Anyway... we didn’t spend a whole lot of time at any of the places we went to because we literally had 7 hours to see everything on our itinerary plus we had a fancy lunch planned for us with 4 courses of Mauritian food. Next we went to a waterfall which is one of the tallest in the world. Me and Bridget took some beautiful pictures there and before we knew it we had to move onto the next site. We literally spent 15 minutes at each place. So much to see, so little time. It was sad I would have almost rather seen 3 places for 1 hour than 9 for 15 minutes. We then went to see the 7 colored sand which was almost all colors of the rainbow and it is because of a chemical reaction. If you’re a chemist you might understand why the sand is different colors but I just stood and thought “how pretty”. Cough UNCLE ED cough.

                We then went to lunch which was amazing but sadly took up A LOT of time. We had 4 courses, which took 2 hours for us to get through and they gave us way too much food which we couldn’t finish. After we had chocolate ice cream which was MUCH needed. On the ship we have to pay for ice cream. So it was a treat. We then went to the beach for like 30 minutes because we were running out of time. We had to be back on the ship to leave the port.

 

                I will be in Ghana in a few days. I will try and get some blogging for South Africa done tomorrow. SA was AMAZING so I want to make sure I can remember some important things. With only 2 days left of my classes (8 days total) and 10 days total on the ship. CRAZY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. I have spent 10 days on the ship without hitting land. With Ghana and Morocco coming up it’s going to fly and thinking of the end is so depressing..

 

I am already looking into studying abroad next year. I want to do another quarter term (like I did for Italy where you study the country and then go for a week), and I wanna look into summer programs for SA, Europe or Australia! We shall see, I know this is just the start though. SAS is just feeding my travel and cultural learning bug.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment