Friday, March 22, 2013

India- Day 6 and reflection

            March 11th

On the last day of India I really just enjoyed time walking around the area by the ship. I bought a few souvenirs and then went back to the ship. I know that sounds like a pretty lame last day in India, but I was pretty done with India and was ready for an early time back onto the ship. I only spent a good 4 hours in Cochin before heading back to the ship.

 

Reflection

            I might have spoken a lot about how crazy India was and at times stressful  or scary. But I want to make sure I say some of the things I loved. India was not my favorite country but it was a closer 3rd or 4th favorite on the voyage so far. In India one of the best aspects was the people. As much as people  might have been scary in some aspects, some of the Indian people I met were the most friendly, curious and funny people I ever met. They were always curious as to where we were from, if we liked Obama (almost all countries we have gone to love Obama and automatically say it if we say USA). In India there was something very mystical being in places that have been occupied for thousands of years and have had religious meaning for thousands of years. In Varanasi although it was insanely crazy I have never in my life been to somewhere so magical for lack of words. So much was going on and all over you could feel the importance of this place and it seemed unreal. I also enjoyed a lot of the food (I DIDN’T GET SICK!!!!!!!!!!), although I had to make sure it wasn’t super spicy it was still yummy. A lot of people came back and either got sick or were sick in India. But I wasn’t one of them woohoo! I also loved the Indian Sari’s all of the women wore, so many colors and styles.

            Some things I thought about a lot was that the country might be growing very fast but it very obviously cannot handle the amount of people in the cities now I cannot imagine even more. the quality of life for most of the people I saw was so poor which made me think of some important things. who needs to help them, who is going to help them, what is the government doing right now to help. Another is how happy the people seem even with the lives they lead and the troubles they face. I could go on a lot about things but I am too tired. In some ways people can learn a lot from not only seeing these people but living in their conditions with them for a time. I won’t go into a lot of the bad because I feel as though I got a lot of it out in my posts but I wish India would improve transportation. Also India has a lot of sanitary problems that need help. There was a point where it was so dirty that in Varanasi I stepped and tripped on a dead rat. Thinking about it gives me shivers.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment