Friday, March 1, 2013

Singapore-Singapore Day 2

Today we leave Myanmar (Burma). I am so sad we have to leave, but also getting really anxious for India. Today I did a service visit to a local Orphanage, I am still processing the whole experience. So hopefully by the time I catch up on my countries I will have

 

Feb 21st

                Getting up early the next morning was not an option since we had been out late and many of us wouldn’t have functioned well. But at 9am we all left the ship to get lunch and explore. We had lunch at a food court. The food courts in Singapore are different then ones in the USA. All of the food was from different ethnic groups and the food court is “glorified street food”, it looks nicer and is safer but it’s Singapore’s version of cheap street food. I got some Chinese food, noodles and fried dumplings. It was really good and I tried some of my friends Korean and Malaysian food. After we all shared some watermelon.

                Nearby the food court there is a large market. So we went and spent a good 2 hours walking around and enjoying the market. People were selling jewelry, food, clothing and more. I bought a shirt, a dress and postcards. We left and headed back to the ship after so we wouldn’t be fighing others to get on the ship on time. On ship time was 6pm, so since it takes an hour to get back, plus we wanted to use Wi-Fi quick and spend the rest of my Singapore money on snacks so we left the market at 4.

 

Reflection:

In every country I have been able to feel an “essence” what makes it unique. But for Singapore I had trouble figuring it out. Its so diverse and because of its fastly growing economy it is a very rich country. But I couldn’t find what makes it unique. Overall though I loved its diversity. I loved the nightlife. I really enjoyed how clean and new the city was. I like that it has strict rules because it makes the country more organized and people follow the rules because they don’t want to get fined. Singapore was a great experience but not in my top countries because of the small amount of time we had there and it honestly reminded me a lot of America with its diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment