Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ive got my swim trunks and my flippy floppys

I have just finished my classes for the day and got a hilarious message from Chelsea. She told me to make sure I am listening to “I’m on a boat”. So while I am writing I am listening to it. This afternoon we have a beautiful sunset over the horizon. HAWAII IS SO CLOSE!

                Tomorrow I have classes and then the day after Aloha Hawaii! Every night we have 8pm meetings in the union (a large meeting room on the ship), of which we can learn things about upcoming countries. Last night was about the wildlife/ volcanos of Hawaii and tonight is about the culture.

I had religion classes today, during which we were asked (as long as we were comfortable) to share our religious background, it seemed as though almost everyone in the classes came from completely different religious backgrounds. It was so interesting to see such a variety of people on the ship. I myself grew up going to catholic mass, considered myself Christian for a time and now I am at a point in life where I really don’t know where I stand religiously.

                I really hope with these classes I can become much more educated on religions, especially ones that a lot of people have negative views on in America such as Islamic and Muslim beliefs. I think that on top of taking this journey it is a lot to also look at myself spiritually and others spiritually but I am keeping an open mind to other religions so I can better understand what they believe, why they believe it and their culture around their religion.

                I really am enjoying my classes so far, although some require pages upon pages of dull reading. I know I am writing a lot on the ship, but in port I won’t have my laptop, so posts will mostly come after I am there. I have lots of time to waste on the ship. Me and friends spend a good chunk of time a day at a table emailing friends, family and updating blogs. I am back to the books now.

TATA FOR NOW               

Casey

 

PS THERE IS AN UNCONFIRMED RUMOR THAT THE DALAI LAMA MIGHT BE JOINING US! The dean won’t deny or confirm this rumor…so maybe?!? That would be truly amazing!





No comments:

Post a Comment