Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Day before Japan: My thoughts.

                Jan 26th 2013

 

My thoughts

                I am so excited for Japan. Although it is a place I should know a lot about, I feel as though I know hardly anything. Japan is one of those countries that is so rich in culture and history. I am also nervous because this country will be my first time in a place that has a completely different language. I can’t wait to try and learn all about how they live and to try new things and make memories. I am really glad I have good friends to travel with since obviously before going into SAS that was something I worried about. I am still in awe that 1) were almost to our first country 2) we’ve only been on this adventure for just over 2 weeks. And 3) how much more learning and growing we have to do.

 

What I hope to learn

                I hope to gain better travel skills while traveling in a place you’re not familiar with. I hope to gain an appreciation for Japanese culture. I hope to learn some of the basic language terms. Lastly I hope to see things that make me want to learn more or make my jaw drop because it amazes me.

 

What I am most excited about

                Being on land. Culture. Food. Adventure. Sightseeing. Becoming more enriched in something I know so little about and probably have way too many stereotypes about.

 

What I am most nervous about

I am nervous because this country will be my first time in a place that has a completely different language. In Italy we had a professor with us who spoke Italian and there were many English speakers in Rome. In Guatemala many people I was with spoke Spanish or I could get by with the little I knew. Japanese… I have no clue how to read or speak it. Trying to get around with this language barrier. Other than that I am not very nervous J Japan should be a piece of cake, bring it, ill get nervous when India comes (Although I am unbelievably excited for India and it is the country I am most looking forward too!)

 

The tentative plan so far

Day 1- I have a field lab to a Zen temple to do mediation practices. Then were going out to celebrate a friends 22nd birthday, hopefully to a karaoke bar because those are supposed to be huge in Japan. Sleep on the ship

Day 2-  Early train to Tokyo (Harajuku street? Fish market?  Palace?) Stay overnight

Day 3- Tokyo all day and then catch an overnight bus to Kyoto

Day 4 – Kyoto (take train to sleep on the ship, save money)

Day 5- Kobe (where the ship is)

 

Tonight is the Pre-port meeting for Japan and then I’ll be in bed early after since I hardly sleep due to the waves. I watched a lot of movies today because we can get newer movies for free on the public drive. So I watched Skyfall and Crazy, Stupid, Love. Our room is a mess because of last night still, they are coming to fix our closet but until then our stuff is just all over the already small room. The sooner this gets fixed the better lol,

If I don’t blog too much while in Japan, don’t freak. I will probably be making small posts on FB if I have wifi. Other than that though I will be enjoying my experience and I will give a full report and some pictures of my first trip. What’s crazy is that right after Japan we have 2 days of class and then BOOM were in China. So I am hoping I will have some good down time to blog and reflect on Japan before China.

I’ll talk to yall soon

 

Love

Casey

Cookie

T

Cassandra-Marie Jean Cole

 

No comments:

Post a Comment