Monday, January 14, 2013

Speakers, Desmond Tutu and Hawaii plans!

Something happened yesterday that I will never forget. As I was walking past Archbishop Desmond Tutu, I greeted him, and he stopped, shook my hand, asked my name, said “God bless you”, gave me a warm hug and walked on with a huge smile on his face. I cannot describe what it feels life to be treated so kindly from someone who is world known, very wise and doesn’t even know me. I was in complete awe for a good 15 minutes.

 

                I know I have made lots of posts lately, but I heard a speech last night and it was so amazing I wanted to make sure I wrote some of the great points made before I go to class and also give an update of what I will be doing in Hawaii since I won’t be on my blog until after Hawaii or late tomorrow night.

 

                For starters, on this voyage is a company created by a fellow SASer. It is called Unreasonable at Sea. It was formed to bring young entrepreneurs together who have world changing ideas onto this ship to learn, grow and pitch their ideas to the countries we will be going to. Well, also sailing with the unreasonable institute is mentors. These are people who are entrepreneurs and are doing things to help change the world. Last ngiht they lectured at the Union and told us about their program and then gave us an interview of one of the mentors.

 

                http://unreasonableatsea.com/portfolio/hunter-lovins/

 

                Her name is Hunter Lovins is such a pretty amazing woman. She was a great speaker and really got the crowd excited with her thoughtful advice and wise words. Although they are things I am used to hearing, such as “You only have right now”, “You don’t know how much time you have on earth”, “and Doing something with your life you enjoy is the right path to happiness” were some of her words of advice. She has such an impressive background and the idea that this lady is on our voyage and spoke to us 500 college students, blew my mind that she is one of 10 people on this ship that want to speak with us, want to help young entrepreneurs and are helping change our world.

                Tonight there will be another speaker after our mandatory pre-port meeting. They lecture us on health, safety, culture and ect. I am really excited to hear another speaker tonight.

 

                In my Oceanography class, it was announced that tomorrow for our lab, we will not only be visiting the volcano national park and hiking up the volcano, but after we will be going snorkeling in the coral reefs! I am so happy that I get to experience two major Hawaiian tourist experiences in one day and because it is a lab, I don’t have to pay for them up front! (I pay indirectly through tuition). So tomorrow I am waking up early (maybe early enough to see the ship arrive port?), then off to the volcano!

No comments:

Post a Comment